Here are answers to your questions on how we treat (and respect) your information—and context for how we operate:
Why do I need to create an account before I can order your products?
- For your safety & security. Reputable online stores require that you create an account (ours is free) while making a purchase. We require that you create a free account before purchasing, for the safety & security of our girl members and their families.
Do you really need all the information you ask for?
- Yes. We need contact information (phone and/or email) for our girl members’ parents or guardians, in addition to the street address (for mailing our magazine and for our records).
Why do you need this?
- Since our readers are girls as young as 8-years-old, we take safety and security for them (and their families) very seriously—just as we have from our first day in business, back in 1992.
- Our online ordering system and fulfillment software are set up to have accounts in the name of the member’s parent/guardian. We can address our magazine to the member (if the parent/guardian opts in), but when it comes to purchases, customer service, and other business questions, NMG interacts with parents/guardians–not children. (see # 3 & 4 below).
- We willingly follow the U.S. Federal Children’ Online Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA) which regulates how U.S. companies like NMG can—and cannot—communicate with children under 13.
- NMG is part of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood—so we do not market directly to children. When it comes to the ordering & business end of NMG, we follow the ethical practice of communicating with parents and/or other responsible adults—not the kids.
Are you going use my credit card to automatically renew my subscription order?
- We never automatically charge a customer’s credit card for renewals—or for any other reason. Instead, we email you when the renewal date approaches, and invite you to initiate the renewal order, if you so choose.
Thanks so much for your interest in our work honoring girls’ courage, creativity, compassion and community. We’re confident that your girl will enjoy New Moon Girls, and that you’ll come to trust our community of girls, parents and allies supporting each other, and building an equal world for all!
Nancy Gruver & Joe Kelly